Saturday, February 23, 2008

February

Bad things about February

1. Hearing that that there was a shooting and people were hurting less than two miles away.

2. Walking out of Brooks school with a 6 year old boy only to see 5 helicopters hovering over Cole Hall. I love walking out of school each day and looking across the farmland and up to the sky. The view will never be the same.

3. Getting used to going to the doctor and hearing your mother referred to as a cancer patient.

4. Hearing your dad say "brain" and "cancer" in the same sentence.

5. The Flu

6. Sinus infections

7. Getting a text from your husband that the shooter is a former student.

Good things about February

1. A friend's baby is born.

2. Good friends buy a dream house.

3. Your husband wasn't teaching at the university this semester.

4. DeKalb passes a great referendum (4th times a charm!)

5. Unlimited sick leave.

6. Friend upon friend offering food, babysitting, cards, phonecalls, love.

7. DeKalb's response to the tragedy- signs, cookies, ribbons, shirts, prayers, memorial funds.

Life is beautiful even if it sucks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good things: unexpected messages from long lost friends. How wonderful to hear from you. I've gleaned some details from your entries, but I'd love to hear more from you. Send me a note: mbutter@bgsu.edu.

edP said...

"Life is beautiful even if it sucks." I think you hit it. I have no answers but re-reading this post today made me feel better.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

And those of us on the West coast miss and love you and your family too. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad you and your sister are able to be there and be strong for your mom. When my hubby's mom (and my best friend) was dying of quick growing inoperable (no chemo or radiation possibilities either) lung cancer, the worst part about it was to be 2500 miles away and be unable to do anything other then call daily. You're all in our thoughts and prayers from over here.

Toad734 said...

For what its worth, I would say that isn't a typical February.